In standard form, the model BOS-40 Beam Observation system has a 40mm diameter active area MCP and P-43 phosphor screen assembly, housed within a 4.50″ (114mm) conflat flange with glass viewport. Electrical connections to the phosophor screen and MCP are made with MHV feedthroughs.
Optional configurations are discussed in detail below and include 6″ (152mm) flange mount (BOS-40-6), dual MCP plates (chevron), SHV feedthroughs, fiberoptic windows, and CCD camera systems.
- 40mm Diameter
- 1.975″ Diam. (BOS-40), 10 micron channel diameter, Imaging Grade
- 40mm active area, 12 micron pitch, 8° Bias Angle, 46:1 Aspect Ratio (Standard, BOS-40)
- Max. Gain: 2 x 104 (single plate, Std.) 1000V > 107 (chevron, OPT-01), 2000V
Phosphor Screen (Standard)
- P-43 with aluminum overcoat. P-43 Peak Wavelength: λ= 545 nm.
Power Supply Requirements:
- 0 – + 1000V, 1mA single MCP (Standard)
- 0 – + 2000V, 1mA dual MCP (OPT-01)
- 0 – + 5000V, 1 mA Phosphor Screen
Beam Energy Range:
- 1 eV to over 50 keV
Beam Current Range:
< 10 μA (with optional beam attenuation grids)
- 1 x 10-6 Torr or better required to operate MCP
- UHV compatible, maximum bakeout temperature 300 C
Welded Glass Windows (Standard)
- A non-removable glass window that is welded to the flange is standard. This allows bakeout temperatures > 200C.
6″ Flange Mount (BOS-40-6)
The model BOS-40 is available with a 6″ (152mm) flange mount. Feedthroughs are available on edge of flange, or out of the face of the flange (see welded glass window version above) . A welded glass window is standard, with optional removable fiberoptic window version (BOS-40-6/FO) and 3-3/8″ conflat window (BOS-40-6/3.38) version.
Dual MCP systems, MCP Coatings and MCP Type:
- Model BOS-40 with BOS-40-OPT-01 dual MCP option
- MCPs with optional coating for enhanced imaging of UV and X-rays (KBr, CsI, Cu, CuI, MgO, Au,MgF2)
- MCPs with high gain and resolution
- MCPs with matched characteristic impedance
P-43 is standard but other phosphors are available and include including P1, P11, P15, P20, P22, P24, P31, P45, P46, P47, P48, and P53. See our phosphor screen page for more information. Screens have a standard aluminum overcoat but Indium-Tin-Oxide (ITO) undercoating is also available.
Stand alone MCP/Phosphor assemblies (IDA) (Optional)
The MCP/Phosphor screen assemblies used by the BOS-40 are available separately.
Extended Platform Mounts (Optional)
The MCP/Phosphor screen assemblies can be mounted on an extended platform at a specific distance from the vacuum sealing surface or BOS window. This distance is specified by the customer.
Coherent Fiberoptic Windows (Optional)
Using a fiberoptic faceplate for the vacuum window is the optical equivalent of a zero thickness window. Phosphor is coated on the vacuum side surface of the fiberoptic window. The image created at the surface of the phosphor is transmitted through the optical fibers of the window to the front surface (air side) of the window by for easy viewing of the image by eye or mountable camera systems. This design allows the phosophor screen to be removed and re-coated or replaced with a different kind of phosphor, without having to remove the MCP assembly.
Image Processing Systems (Optional)
- Model IPS-1 (Frame grabber (PCI bus), cables, software)
Power Supplies (Optional)
- Model MCPPS-1 (MCP Power Supply, Single MCP, 0-1kV)
- Model MCPPS-2 (MCP Power Supply, Dual MCP, 0-2kV)
- Model PHSPS-1 (Phosphor Screen Power Supply, 0-5kV)
Removable Glass Windows
- BOS-40, 50mm Dia., 3mm thick, BK7, Pyrex, Fused Silca, Sapphire
- SHV, SHV-B, BNC Fedthroughs, Electron suppression grids
- Beam attenuation grids (90%, 99%, 99.9%)
- Please use these criteria when determining number of attenuation grids needed:
- Ion beams greater than 3.2 nA/mm2, 90% beam attenuation (1 grid)
- Ion beams greater than 31.8 nA/mm2, 99% beam attenuation (2 grids)
- Ion beams greater than 318.nA/mm2, 99.9% beam attenuation (3 grids)
BOS Camera Options and Specifactions
*All camera systems include lens, BOS mounting hardware, video cable, and 12″ high-resolution monochrome monitor*
|BOS Model Option||BOS-OPT-02/2622||BOS-OPT-02/2722||BOS-OPT-02/3710|
|Camera||COHU 2622||COHU 2722 (DualGain)||CIDTEC 3710D|
|Optical Format||1/2" Diagonal||1/2" Diagonal||2/3" Diagonal|
|Resolution||768H x 494V RS-170|
752 x 582 CCIR
|755H x 488V RS-170|
752 x 582 CCIR
|755H x 484V RS-170
752 x 582 CCIR
|Element Pitch (μm)||8.4 x 9.8||8.4 x 9.8||12.0 x 13.7|
|Area (mm)||6.4 x 4.8||6.4 x 4.8||9.05 x 6.83|
|RS-179, 2:1 Interlace
|Electronic Shutter||1/60 - 1/10,000 sec.||1/60 - 1/100,000 sec.||-|
|Signal to Noise (db)||>55||58||50|
|Sensitivity (Face Plate Illumination)||Full Output: .65 Lux||Full Output: 0.0012 Lux||Full Output: 0.5fc|
|Input Power (Watts)||3.6||6 Max.||8.5 Max.|
|Input Voltage (Volts)||+12 VDC||+24 VDC or 115 VAC||+15 VDC Nominal|